Saturday, August 14, 2010

RECIPE :: Red Velvet Cupcakes


Hi Friends! Tonight I had the overwhelming urge to make some Red Velvet cupcakes. This is the first time I've ever made them and they came out spectacular! Yum! I even made the cream cheese frosting from scratch.





I had just enough cupcakes to arrange them into a "CP" for Crafty Pirate.



Because I love you all so much, I'm going to share my recipe with you. I tweaked the ingredients of the base recipe I used to make the batter amount just enough for 12 cupcakes (and I added a secret ingredient too). I'm also including the cream cheese frosting recipe which is just enough to ice the 12 cupcakes. Twelve is the perfect amount for a two person household like mine. It's just Wil and I and we'll probably end up giving a few away too. Scroll down for the complete recipe.



*Yields one dozen cupcakes

**Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla (1 tsp if it's imitation vanilla)
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp chocolate syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 oz of red food coloring

Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer and spoon into cupcake cups.

***Bake for 30 to 35 minutes

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 stick of butter (softened)
1/2 tsp vanilla (1 tsp if imitation vanilla)
1/2 cup cream cheese

Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer until there are no lumps. Spread over cooled cupcakes and enjoy.


In case you couldn't figure out the secret ingredient, it's chocolate syrup. I hope you all make them and love them! They are really delicious. They would go great with some vanilla ice cream as well.

Post a Comment